The Outback Bowl will begin accepting requests for working media credentials for the January 1, 2021 game in Tampa, FL on November 20th. Requests should be made by your sports editor/director. Be advised that submitting a request does not necessarily guarantee approval. The Outback Bowl reserves the right to revoke any credential and it must be surrendered upon request.
Requests must be received by our office no later than Thursday, December 17, 2020.
Sports editors/directors and/or photography editors need only complete ONE APPLICATION PER MEDIA AGENCY. They can request working media credentials for all members of their agency in a single application. When submitting the application, the sports editor/director and/or photography editor should list him/herself as the "contact" and register media members assigned to cover the 2020 Outback Bowl as "attendees." If requiring credentials for him/herself, the "contact" will need to be added as an "attendee" as well. Please note that you must click on the "finish" button on the final page to complete your request.
No credentials will be mailed. All credentials must be picked up in person at the Media Hotel Press Room during Bowl Week (December 26 from 3:00-5:30 p.m.; Dec. 27- Dec. 31st from 8:30a.m.-5:30p.m.) or at the stadium press gate "will call desk" beginning at 8:00 a.m. on game day. Individuals may claim all passes issued to his/her media organization prior to game day, but must show photo I.D. and be responsible for proper distribution. Note that credentials will have the users name printed on them and are non-transferable. Credentials will not be replaced if lost or misplaced.
Your request will be confirmed via email once approved or denied. If you do not receive confirmation within 72 hours of your request or by December 21, contact the bowl office.
All media must present photo I.D. (Drivers license, passport or other government issued photo I.D.) AND must be on the press gate security list to gain access to the stadium. All bags will be searched and tagged.
Credential requests will be considered only for authorized full-time, salaried representatives. All freelance personnel requests for credentials must come from the agency hiring that individual. Having been credentialed for other bowl games does not automatically qualify an agency or individual for credentials.
Parking passes are limited and will be prioritized based on need and priority at the discretion of the bowl.
Credential Priority Policy
NOTE: Due to health and safety protocols credentials for media will be very limited in order to maintain proper social distancing in all media areas of the stadium.
Subject to limitations of space, Media credentials will be issued in accordance with the following priority guidelines:
- Press and media agencies which have staffed all of the participating schools games throughout the season as certified by each institution's Sports Information Director.
- National and regional media agencies which are considered legitimate sports reporting agencies or outlets with full-time paid staff members covering sports events. This includes national TV networks and regional cable networks, national daily newspapers and weekly/monthy publications with a circulation of at least 500,000, and national wire services.
- Press agencies from the Tampa Bay region with a minimum daily circulation of 100,000.
- Television stations with a full-time sports director and a daily sports broadcast.
- Publications with a minimum daily circulation of 50,000.
- A maximum of two (2) press and two (2) photo credentials for individuals representing each participating institution's news publication (school paper, alumni magazine), as certified by the institution's SID or Athletic Director.
- Radio stations with a full-time sports director and daily sports talk shows with priority given to those stations in the bowl market and the participating team markets.
- Official Web Site of the Outback Bowl and the participating team athletic departments, and online services of a national TV or cable network or national publication with a full-time staff (ESPN, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, The Athletic, etc). No online service will be allowed "real-time" transmission of the bowl game without written permission from the Outback Bowl.
- An online entity not associated with another press agency that covers college football and/or the participating teams on a daily basis with full-time paid staff members (Bleacher Report, Rivals.com, etc.).
- All other media on space-available basis only at the discretion of the Bowl PR director.
An online service that is recognized as an outlet intended primarily for the purpose of delivering news related to the recruitment of student-athletes does not qualify for credentials.
Special Note on Photography/Television Requests
Sports Editors / Directors should request all photography/TV credentials for their agency. Most photo agencies will be limited to two (2) credentials unless a special need is shown. Top priority for photography credentials will be given to agencies requiring immediate news coverage. Photographers must remain behind the broken yellow restraining line from the playing field when shooting and must maintain at least six feet from surrounding photographers and sideline personnel. Anyone wearing a photo credential and not shooting the game and possessing proper commercial photography equipment will be required to surrender their credential.
"TV Camera" and "Photo" credentials allow photographers access to the sideline and high photo positions. High Photo Positions are located on select club level platforms and the upper deck of the stadium and are designated by signage there. TV reporters/talent will be issued "Press Box" credentials only. Only cameramen, photographers and grips/photo messengers will have sideline access until four minutes are left in the game.
Ordering Telephone Lines
To order phone lines in the press box, photo room or post-game interview room contact Jason McCool of Frontier Communications at (813) 483-2577 or send an email to [email protected] . This MUST BE DONE AT LEAST 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF GAME DAY! The bowl will coordinate with Frontier to make sure your line(s) and phone unit is located at your assigned seat or booth. There will be limited general-use courtesy phones available in the Press Box and an email service for sending final statistics. High speed wireless internet access is available in the press box and photo rooms, but all users MUST have proper and updated security software on their computers. Reporters should also be able to file from the media hotel.
All wireless communications devices (other than normal cell phones) need to be cleared IN ADVANCE OF GAME DAY through our frequency coordinator. NO EXCEPTIONS! Contact Ralph Beaver at 813-282-8612 or [email protected].
A limited number of media parking passes are available and will be prioritized by your game-day needs. Note: due to COVID-19 and CDC social distancing rule there will be NO SHUTTLE for media this year. All media must must arrange for their own transportation to the stadium.
Media App & Text Alerts
A special Outback Bowl Media App will be available to all approved media. This free app will provide key information to media covering the bowl game and surrounding events including media hotel information, updated media itinerary, area maps, and game day information. You will receive an email with more information on how to access the app once you are approved for credentials.
You also are encouraged to provide your cell phone number when registering so that you can receive text alerts during bowl week. These will be reminders of key events and/or information along with updates about schedule changes during the week.